Digital Transformation and the Cloud: 5 Reasons CIOs Need to Get With the Program

Digital Transformation and the Cloud: 5 Reasons CIOs Need to Get With the Program

The importance of aligning tech with business goals may sound like a no-brainer. In fact, the CIO position — created back in the 1980s — was supposed to do just that. Yet for decades, business leaders have complained that IT was only pursuing a siloed view of technology; technology for technology's sake; keeping the lights on. The promise of aligning IT with the business remained unfulfilled.

But now, as macro-trends shift from siloed views and discussions of emerging technologies (cloud, mobile, big data, connectivity, etc.) to a holistic view of what digital means to the business model and overall competitiveness of the organization, the conversation is moving from the CIO and CISO to the CEO, and the need for true digital transformation is causing a sense of urgency at a wide range of organizations across multiple industries.

Why is this Happening Now

The competitive landscape demands it. Several innovative upstarts have disrupted their respective industries and have found holes within old business models and fixed them, which consumers are loving. New consumer buying trends are now translating at the business level. As a result, line of business managers are becoming much more involved with tech adoption and spending. CEOs are telling CIOs it's time to make distinct changes.

Cloud adoption has become a major driver of digital business transformation at the enterprise level, through which CIOs can free up resources — time, money and manpower — to break the old 80/20 rule. You know the one that states 80% of IT resources go to run-the-business, leaving only 20% to drive innovation. Ken Corless, a principal at Deloitte Consulting, has also pointed out that enterprises moving to the cloud can cut costs, improve agility and also fundamentally change IT functions, increasing their relevance and ability to meet the transformational needs of the business.

The shift to cloud-enabled innovation is already happening. Half of the nearly 650 CIOs recently surveyed by IDG agreed that their main focus is now "transformational."

Efficiencies Realized

What does digital transformation look like? Digital transformation, unlike other more siloed IT projects, has a much broader scope and set of goals that have far-reaching implications on the whole organization. Leadership comes from the top, and a digital agenda is agreed upon based on the alignment created when IT and the business work closely together.

According to Deloitte, a digitally transformed organization recognizes three important advantages:

  • Processes are improved
  • Talent is engaged across the organization
  • New business models are deployed

Cloud-Centric Digital Transformation

Part of enjoying a successful digital transformation means having a robust and modern IT infrastructure, whether you're operating globally or regionally. Cloud-centric practices can help enterprises get there. That's the case at Eurostar, where the digital transformation includes the movement of all of the organization's applications to the cloud.

According to Eurostar CIO Laurent Bellan, "The objective of our digital transformation is to become a customer-first company by delivering real-time mobile and web experiences to let customers book their journeys. Our goal is to give customers a superior web and call center support experience."

The rail service selected Masergy's Hybrid Networking and Managed Security solutions to facilitate its innovation initiative. Masergy designed and implemented a custom hybrid WAN solution tailored for the applications that Eurostar utilizes in train stations, offices, ticketing and call centers across the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, and India. The network intelligently delivers direct cloud connectivity to Eurostar's Amazon Web Services (AWS) environments.

To learn about transforming your network to handle cloud connectivity and modern, bandwidth-intensive applications, start a conversation with Masergy today.

About Tim Naramore

Chief Technology Officer, Masergy
Tim Naramore is the Chief Technology Officer of Masergy Communications and brings more than 30 years of experience in IT and telecommunications to the discussion. Tim has worked at Frito-Lay, Texas Instruments, Boeing, Allegiance Telecom and Broadwing Communications on technologies ranging from IBM mainframes to handheld computers and web applications. Tim is responsible for the IT, Network Engineering and Software Engineering groups at Masergy. He holds a bachelor's of science in information systems from Pittsburg State University.

We use cookies to improve your web experience, better understand how our site is used, and personalize advertising. By continuing to use this site you are giving us your consent to do this. Read more and make cookie choices by visiting our privacy policy.