IoT Necessities: Getting Your Network and Security Ready
The Internet of Things (IoT) is introducing sensors into virtually every process and device, transforming product-focused companies into service-oriented digital partners. Take these examples for instance:
- Every step, machine, and supplier in the manufacturing process is becoming a shared data input, creating end-to-end digital supply chains crossing all parties involved.
- Smart tags and visual tracking are giving retailers detailed data about shopping behavior that powers sales and marketing efforts.
- Healthcare companies and financial services companies are using real-time data to monitor risk by the minute, creating more effective investment strategies and healthcare treatments.
But how do CIOs and CISOs ensure their IT infrastructure is ready for IoT? Taking a hard look at your security capabilities and your network are important steps for preparedness. Here are the necessities.
Network and Security Necessities for IoT
- Network Agility and Ease of Management: IoT success is dependent upon the real-time delivery of data, which means your network must also have real-time agility. Modern, software defined networks are best for IoT because they enable network scalability, deployment, centralized control, and offer IT teams the tools they need to ensure real-time application delivery. Application-based routing is essential.
- Unlimited Network Segmentation: IoT security requires segmented networks, but these layered environments can cause IT complexity when rigid, legacy or carrier-grade infrastructures are present. Many of these solutions aren’t fit for IoT and their providers don’t offer an unlimited number of virtual environments without additional fees. If you’re giving your network a refresh, be sure to ask your potential provider about the turn-time and process associated with change management. Here are some suggested network services RFP questions that can help distinguish the leaders in secure hybrid networking as well as SD-WAN.
- Deep Network Visibility: As the list of your connected devices grows, enterprise network traffic increases exponentially. Monitoring all that network traffic is one of the best ways to ensure the security of IoT. Having a complete history of all network activity that is both readily searchable and sortable in an easy-to-use console is the secret to deploying and managing IoT infrastructures while minimizing security risks. Learn more about Masergy’s deep network visibility and full threat visibility.
- Security Backed by Machine Learning and Behavioral Analytics
Security ecosystems with machine learning and behavior analytics “become aware” of the normal IoT traffic and are fine tuned to identify anomalies and lateral moves. As IT teams are tasked with monitoring an increasing amount of network traffic from connected devices, these tools become a must-have. They multiply the evaluation power of existing resources, making the security teams smarter and faster in threat detection and response. If your team is unable to support the security demands of IoT, turn to managed detection and response services that offer machine learning and behavior analytics as part of an end-to-end solution.
- Multi-Flow Data Monitoring: Segmented networks are required for IoT, but these sophisticated environments call for security strategies powered by segmented flow data (multi-VRF security). Your security strategy should take the same segmented approach as your network, matching segmented virtual environments with multi-data-flow security monitoring. This way, the network design and the security operations work in synchronization. All too often, the network is designed without considering security. This adjustment solves that problem and allows enterprises to apply specific security rules and policies to each segmented network. Here’s a white paper that explains the alignment needed as well as the strategy, benefits, and tools.
With advanced tools, technologies, and partnerships in place, enterprises will be able to accelerate IoT deployment, quickly communicating insights with every person, process, and manager at the end of each connection point.
Call on Masergy to evaluate your network and security for IoT readiness and enable your IoT strategy. Contact us for a free consultation.
Like this article? Download the eGuide here.