The Enterprise Security Checklist
Just as security breaches are becoming more sophisticated and multi-faceted, so too must businesses develop multi-pronged approaches to cyber security defense.
Organizations must adopt a more sophisticated approach to cyber security that combines strategy, technology and governance to ensure the security of business and customer data. Many companies are not in compliance with the latest guidelines and running outdated systems that leave them vulnerable to increasingly malicious cyber breaches.
Recent massive data thefts at the Office of Personnel Management, Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration point to the need for more a rigorous set of monitoring systems.
The lesson from these recent breaches suggest that all organizations need to look at their policies, procedures and infrastructure with an eye on adopting the most rigorous and modern approaches to cyber security.
Here’s a 7-step checklist to better secure your digital enterprise:
- Assess your current IT security posture and align your security strategy with business goals.
- Establish an enterprise-wide security program and integrate it with existing processes to reduce complexity and achieve business results.
- Adopt security-as-a-service that meets business demands and addresses regulatory, privacy and security requirements.
- Develop a comprehensive sourcing strategy for all security services, and decide which to outsource to third party managed security solutions providers.
- Understand the nature of existing and emerging security threats in your business, your industry and at large. Use security analytics to apply contextual awareness to your security data.
- Have plans in place to assess new security innovations. Create a dedicated budget and a clear vision for the security technologies that can enhance your current posture.
- Continually measure the effectiveness of your security implementations and continuously evolve your security posture to meet emerging threats.