Teknion Implements Seamless Global Application Platform with Masergy
Teknion is a leading international designer, manufacturer and marketer of office systems and related office furniture products. Its headquarters are located in Toronto. The company has offices and facilities in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, India, Russia and Malaysia, and serves clients through a network of authorized dealers worldwide. Teknion has a growing North American market presence and continues to expand into Europe, the Middle East, India, the Caribbean and Pacific Rim. Teknion clients are primarily large and mid-size national and multi-national corporations and government institutions operating in a wide range of geographical markets.
Teknion launched an innovative company-wide initiative, OneTeknion, to bring all its global offices closer together. TekConnect, a major project undertaken as part of the OneTeknion initiative, involved the implementation of a comprehensive suite of integrated, global business applications through a large ERP system to unite all of Teknion’s facilities and business processes worldwide.
“When you are expected to do infrastructure support across a large worldwide network with limited resources, you’re really looking for a business partner to help you achieve that objective without significantly increasing the cost of doing business. I think we have achieved that with Masergy.”
Since Teknions products are customized and built-to-order, the need for streamlined connectivity and collaboration between facilities throughout the production process was of utmost importance. The firm needed a worldwide network service provider to ensure global connectivity with reliable application support throughout its sites in the United States, Canada, Asia and Europe.
As Teknion began investigating several large carriers, it noticed most of the service providers were burdened with legacy networks or were regionally-focused and could not provide a consistent service offering to all of the company’s sites. Teknion needed to consolidate and connect all locations through a single, secure next-generation technology network to ensure seamless communication between facilities, partners and customers.
During its research stage, Teknion also found that most providers did not offer dynamic bandwidth allocation, a feature that was important to the company due to the unpredictable nature of its bandwidth capacity requirements at a number of its facilities.
Additionally, Teknion sought consistent , consolidated and accurate invoices for all of its locations. With nearly 30 offices in several regions around the globe, the company had been using multiple network service providers, creating an administrative nightmare in service pricing and costing additional time and resources to ensure accuracy and payment of invoices. Thus, the company sought a reliable network service provider with global reach, superior application support, flexible bandwidth capabilities and a simplified billing process.
Teknion evaluated several network service providers, including large Tier 1 global carriers, and experienced difficulty finding a provider that could meet all of its needs. One of Teknion’s U.S. vendors recommended Masergy because of its depth of services and network capabilities to solve Teknion’s challenges. Teknion’s leadership team spoke with Masergy customers and learned that the global service provider had solved several of the same challenges the manufacturing company was encountering.
Teknion determined that Masergy could provide an end-to-end network solution through a seamless corporate wide-area network, allowing Teknion to focus on its own core business requirements instead of worrying about running the WAN. As part of the initial implementation, the two companies agreed to run a pilot program for several Canadian and U.S. locations to evaluate Masergy’s network performance. After a successful pilot, Teknion added its remaining international sites to its global network solution. As part of the network solution, Masergy implemented its Intelligent Connectivity services, including:
- MPLS for guaranteed service and security, and improved application performance in an easy-to-manage network environment
- Internet Plus for connectivity to the Internet and to enable access to a secure external portal for Teknion’s global customers, partners and vendors
- Voice QoS to support migration to VoIP with service guarantees, including 100 percent in-sequence packet delivery, maximum latency variation (jitter) of less than 1ms and network recovery of less than one second
Teknion also implemented Masergy’s Intelligent Network Analyst service for in-depth visibility into application performance and real-time network monitoring and reporting capabilities.
After consolidating its global network, Teknion experienced cost savings while improving its overall quality of service. Masergy’s network solution not only supported OneTeknion’s goal of creating a seamless, single global network to support consolidated business processes, but also created a closer tie between the infrastructure and applications teams that allowed the company to quickly adapt to technological changes in its industry.
“Being a mid-cap company with a worldwide footprint, we were looking for a network without borders and we found exactly that with Masergy!”
In summary, Teknion’s migration to Masergy’s global network created the following benefits:
- Seamless global infrastructure platform to support its corporate business applications including large ERP implementations, VoIP/enterprise voice, customer/ partner/vendor Extranet and collaboration software
- Reductions in equipment, maintenance and support costs by the virtue of a consolidated network
- Communication and productivity improvements among its geographically dispersed sites through streamlined business processes
- Dynamic bandwidth allocation across all circuits for network efficiency
- Improved diagnostic capabilities through network traffic and application management
- Real-time service modifications including bandwidth capacity adjustments
- Quicker response time and effective issue resolution with centralized technical customer service hub
- Consolidated and accurate billing for worldwide locations