WannaCry, HIPAA Violations, Phishing: Three Stories of Security Success
“Masergy didn’t have a specific security signature looking for this activity. It came up as a result of Masergy’s behavioral analytics. Masergy had deployed sensors, which revealed the anomalous behavior and allowed us to determine suspicious activity. This case study is a great example of how people, process, and technologies are working together to deliver effective detection and response programs for our customers.”
VP of Security at Masergy
For most enterprises, staying on top of cyber security is a task that requires the help of managed security services partners like Masergy. Backed by integrated technologies and machine-learning enabled analytics, our managed detection and response services provide teams of analysts who work 24/7 to monitor security reports, distill alerts into a prioritized list of action items, and quickly take action to help your team respond.
But what do these services defend against, and how do they deliver real business value? Craig D’Abreo, VP of Security, outlines three customer success stories demonstrating how IT teams leverage Masergy to protect their infrastructure
Learn more about Masergy Managed Security solutions:
- Managed Detection and Response Services
- Cloud Workload Protection
- Managed Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB)
- Network Visibility Tool
- Security Monitoring for Office 365
- 24×7 Expert Monitoring
- Network Behavioral Analysis
- Integrated Threat Intelligence
- Intrusion Detection and Prevention
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Managed Firewall
Managed detection and response service alerts to WannaCry attack
- Customer: Financial services organization
- Detection: Patches for each operating system were available prior to the WannaCry outbreak, and most organizations were vulnerable without the patch. Behavioral analytics detected suspicious activity on unpatched machines across the network.
- Response and further investigation: Analysts acted quickly to quarantine the infected host and utilized DNS logging and additional vulnerability scans to identify what other machines could be susceptible to this attack.
CASB system flags accidental HIPAA violations
- Customer: Healthcare company
- Detection: Cloud access security broker (CASB) data leakage prevention alerts flagged activity as a potential HIPAA violation. Using Microsoft OneDrive (a sanctioned application for file sharing) an employee accidentally shared files and personal health information with a third party.
- Response and further investigation: Masergy immediately quarantined the files and built additional custom policies and data leakage prevention alerts to detect any future
“CASB solutions provide very helpful data containerization capabilities that can be used to prevent situations like these. Job functions may require employees to view certain files with sensitive information, but when it comes to copying and pasting that information into other third-party systems, technology should stop the user. With data containerization, you can do just that.”
Cloud workload protection defends against phishing
- Customer: High-tech company
- Detection: Cloud Workload Protection recognized a new workload engaged in command and control activity and flagged it as an unusual anomaly.
- Response and further investigation: Masergy shut down the rogue instance and quarantined the user account. Additional forensics determined the workload was initiated by an unauthorized user account, created after a phishing attack gained customer credentials.
Interested in learning more about Managed Security?
Call us now to arrange a consultation (866) 588-5885.
Or arrange for a consultation through our request form.
Eurostar empowers a digital customer experience from the cloud
High-speed train company Eurostar leverages Amazon Web Services for digital transformation. See how they achieve network reliability for streamlined web, mobile, and call center experiences.
Protecting against North Korean malware, finding a missing employee in Russia, and more Masergy security success stories
Three security success stories explore how Masergy helped clients protect against North Korean malware and find a missing employee in Russia.
Healthcare: How providers transform with help from Masergy
With telemedicine and more medical devices, healthcare IT is under more pressure. Here’s how healthcare companies use Masergy to enable digital care.
Smart manufacturing: How companies transform with help from Masergy
Smart manufacturing can be a complex IT paradigm shift. Here’s how three manufacturers use Masergy to move from concept to reality.
Legal firms build trust and service efficiencies with Masergy
Built on their reputations, legal firms must meet the demands of their digital clients. Here’s how several firms use Masergy to digitally transform.
Allied Electronics accelerates sales and order responsiveness with Masergy
Order fulfillment and same-day shipping is key for high-velocity distributors. See how Allied enables sales and cut costs by 61%.
Moving to a virtual workforce? Four requirements and one key success factor
As a company that organizations around the world rely on for remote work solutions, Masergy shares these tips for building a work-from-home network.
Weightmans strengthens security defences while reducing workloads
Weightmans required more manpower and a comprehensive security strategy to make its security operations as strong as its legal team. See how Masergy’s Managed Detection and Response platform delivers 24-7 monitoring and saves the IT team 144 hours each quarter.
Intertrust tackles compliance with a security team that runs the extra mile
Legal and financial services company Intertrust Group uses Masergy’s network and managed security solutions to tackle security risks and multi-country compliance demands. Explore how the IT team responds to regulations, buys back time, and delivers bandwidth on demand.
Elevate secures consumer credit services with Masergy
Online credit services company Elevate needed a managed services provider to expand their security workforce. Hear how Unified Enterprise Security helped the company avoid hiring 3-4 more IT experts and proved to be the creative problem solvers Elevate needed.