UCaaS streamlines all communications, (telephony, voicemail, chat, email, audio and video conferencing) via cloud-based software services. Utilizing UCaaS eliminates the need to purchase, install and maintain your own telephony infrastructure and it allows enterprises to run their business from anywhere as communications are available through your mobile, laptop/PC and desk phone.
UCaaS supports the following features2:
- Voice: includes fixed, mobile and softphone enterprise telephony, including PBX functionality such as abbreviated dialing.
- Meeting: multiparty audio, video conferencing and web-conferencing capabilities such as screen & application sharing.
- Voicemail: ability to record voice messages and includes unified messaging where voicemails can be sent to email applications.
- Presence and Instant Messaging (IM): IM allows individuals to send text and other information to others or to groups in real time. Presence allows individuals to see the status of other people.
- Unified Clients: enable access to multiple communications functions from a consistent interface to include desktop, browser, smartphone and tablets.
In the past, enterprises acquired and deployed their own communication infrastructure to avoid the cost of individual phone lines but with the advent of cloud-based Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions traditional premise-based telephony systems are on the decline. Gartner1 estimates that spending for premises-based telephony systems will decline at a -10% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) in favor of cloud-based solutions that are expected to grow over 12% CAGR through 2023
What are the benefits of UCaaS?
Enterprises recognize the value of migrating away from a traditional premise-based approach and the value of emphasizing other communications channels along with voice for employee collaboration and customer engagement within newer digital environments. The motivations may differ, but the business case is solid: UCaaS offers cost savings, flexibility and the confidence of a future-proof solution.
- Reduced costs: implementing cloud-based services does not require expensive on-premise hardware. The cost of installation, maintenance and support are eliminated and cloud-based solutions do not require an army of telecommunication specialists on-site. Employees can connect their mobile devices to the company cloud phone system and use VoIP to make calls. Making both landline and mobile calls over the Internet reduces costs as you do not have to pay expensive network provider costs as you have one vendor for all of your UC services and one bill at the end of the month.
- Operating Expense (OPEX) vs. Capital Expense (CAPEX): There are several advantages of opting for an OPEX business model, where you buy a UC service vs. CAPEX where you buy the hardware & software. Reduce your initial cash outlay as OPEX reduces your upfront financial investment. Reduce your tax bill as OPEX costs are fully deductible in the year the expenses are made as long as it relates to the core business whereas CAPEX expenses have to be written-off over time, which may tie-up cash flow. Only pay for capacity that you use with OPEX vs. CAPEX where you may be required to initially purchase 3~5 years’ worth of hardware capacity. Save on support and annual maintenance costs with OPEX as the UCaaS monthly cost includes support, software upgrades & replacements. OPEX often requires less time for internal approvals than making a large capital expenditure which can result in a faster installation.
- Single vendor – less finger pointing: Instead of investing in different solutions for different functions, have the UCaaS provider bundle video, mail, chat, presence, collaboration, etc. allowing you to focus on your business vs. troubleshooting interoperability issues.
- Increased productivity: UC can boost productivity as it enables teams to collaborate in real time through a number of applications. Multiple team members can work on one document simultaneously, sharing ideas and comments which means less time is wasted sending work back and forth for feedback. UC also allows for seamless collaboration between external partners and global offices.
- Business Agility: consolidating multiple communications products into one user-friendly interface allows for faster integration when a new company is acquired or when the business expands globally.
- Flexibility: employees can meet, message and make calls at home or in transit as easily as if they were in the office. For example, video conferencing allows employees to conduct face-to-face meetings with their colleagues or customers without incurring travel expenses. Distance is no longer a barrier for effective communications. By offering your employees the flexibility to work remotely can also promote a better work life balance.
- Staffing: The UCaaS provider is responsible for all telecommunications maintenance activity allowing you to reallocate skilled IT staff to projects that can improve the company’s bottom line.
- Future-proof: The UCaaS provider is responsible for maintaining the backend telecommunication infrastructure so you can focus on your business.
By making the switch to UCaaS, enterprises can achieve the most flexible approach to business communications and collaboration. Your enterprise can scale your services up or down in real-time, adopt new technologies and benefit from mobile-first, user-friendly tools that are designed for the way people collaborate.
1Forecast: Unified Communications, Worldwide, Gartner, Dec 2019
2Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications as a Service, Gartner, Jul 2019
What is the best Unified Communications (UCaaS) platform?
Now that you’ve decided to make the switch to UCaaS, What criteria should you look for in an UCaaS platform:
- Network Performance: real-time applications such as Voice over IP (VoIP) or video conferencing requires that the network operate at peak performance with low latency and jitter. Masergy stands behind network performance with SLA-backed guarantees with jitter that is less than 1ms from POP-to-POP and has built-in disaster recovery with fast failover of less than 1 second.
- Global coverage: Keeping your employees, customers and partners connected is more important than ever. Masergy has a consistent software defined architecture across six continents which is why we can deliver seamless service to any business location. Masergy offers global coverage across over 140 countries with full regulatory license for local service & SIP Trunking in 25 countries. Utilizing Masergy’s global network can yield savings with unlimited in-country usage in the US & Canada and global private dialing with no long distance charges. But our expertise and service doesn’t end with Masergy’s network. Our operations are tightly integrated with more than 300 local access service providers around the world and we interface directly with those ILECs, CLECs and PTTs on your behalf so you can focus on supporting your internal clients and not managing multiple vendors.In the event you have an office outside of Masergy’s service area, we can deploy a local enterprise gateway at your location that will allow all interoffice calls to go over Masergy’s network and external calls go through the PSTN gateway.
- Best-of-breed solution: Masergy UCaaS solutions are powered by Cisco. We embedded their best-of-breed UCaaS into our global software-defined network for reliable connectivity. You can trust Masergy UCaaS with SD-WAN to provide your enterprise a world-class business communications experience.
- One portal for total Customer control: Masergy’s Intelligent Service Control (ISC) portal offers a holistic view of clients’ networking, global SD-WAN and UCaaS applications while enabling the ability to manage, secure and optimize their network environments in real-time. The portal empowers customers with secure administration of their Masergy network services, real-time bandwidth controls (including the industry-unique ability to modify port bandwidth globally across both public and private connections) and end-to-end visibility of application performance.ISC’s comprehensive self-service features around visibility and service control help clients make faster, more informed decisions about bandwidth allocation and service improvement.
- Built for the Enterprise: You don’t need to rip and replace your entire phone system to reach the cloud. Masergy leverages SIP trunking enabling you to deploy VOIP services both on-premise and in the cloud. The hybrid deployment model allows you to migrate to the cloud one location/system at a time, progressing towards a fully hosted model only when your PBX systems are ready to be retired.Masergy’s UCaaS services are transport agnostic and globally available. Customers can choose to have our UCaaS service run over private connectivity, dedicated Internet access or over any broadband connection.System supports a wide-range of IP phones to include Cisco & Polycom and with the soft-client can use your existing PC or mobile devices.The security of cloud communications can’t be taken for granted, which is why Masergy has embedded security at the network and application layers.Built-in interoperability with third-party applications such as Microsoft Office 365 and Teams and integrated with over 200 IPaaS applications.
- Unparalleled Customer Experience: Masergy creates a client-specific deployment design with a dedicated implementation team for easy migration and full support. Exceptional customer service is the foundation of everything we do at Masergy with live 24/7 support from our multiple global NOCs & SOCs and guarantee proactive five-minute notification of all issues. Which explains why we have a 99% client retention rate and an exceptionally high net performer score of 70+ for the last 4 years.
UCaaS Success Stories
Calypso, a financial technology company turned to Masergy to enhance worldwide collaboration across their 20+ offices spread across 10 different time zones. Each office had a different phone system and they were not interconnected so now using SIP Trunking combined with Masergy’s global SD-WAN are able to interconnect each branch providing a centralized point to manage their global phone system.
Calypso realized numerous benefits:
- Increased team collaboration across their offices worldwide.
- Reduced time required to turn-up new branch offices.
- In the event of a disaster, users can take an adapter home and utilize their home network to make and receive calls.
- Calypso has a number of employees that travel all of the time and by using Masergy Communicator are able to make and receive calls using their work number on their mobile device.
Based in Silicon Valley, MarkLogic is a software company that provides a database platform used by more than 1,000 customers across the globe. MarkLogic has grown significantly since it was founded in 2001, approaching 600 employees worldwide with over half of the workforce located outside of the US. The company’s growth presented operational challenges and they were looking for a solution that provided better global support. MarkLogic was looking for a communications provider with an established global presence and selected Masergy for their global UCaaS and managed SD-WAN solutions.
MarkLogic realized numerous benefits:
- Simplified communications, employees no longer have to waste time trying to determine if someone is online or available.
- They can now open-up a new office in just days.
- Masergy’s 24/7/365 NOC can resolve an issue quickly, often within 5~10 minutes vs. 1~3 hours when MarkLogic managed their own network.
Why Masergy UCaaS?
Recognized as the pioneer in software-defined networking, Masergy enables unrivaled application performance across the network and the cloud with Managed SD-WAN, UCaaS, CCaaS and Managed Security solutions. Masergy UCaaS will help you achieve your digital ambitions allowing you to transform with certainty.